Garden Chick - Notes from the Garden

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Herbal Healing Salve for Dogs



Our dog Corky is 98 years old (in dog years of course). He has always been a scratcher and biter and frequently has reddened irritated areas on his legs. I think he has an obsessive compulsive disorder. . .
I have been working on several recipes to develop a salve for dogs to add to my other pet products and finally came up with this final product. "Bow Wow Boo Boo's" It is made with olive oil infused with calendula and chammomile, which offer healing qualities, shea butter, (skin soother)and the essential oils of lavender (healing, antibacterial) and tea tree oil (antibacterial).

The calendula and chammomile have been infusing in the windowsill for about 2 weeks. Shea butter was melted into the strained oil then beeswax was added and slowly microwaved in short pulses (30 seconds) until melted. After it was cooled down a little, I added the tea tree oil and lavender and poured into 2 oz tins. $4.95 on my website http://www.gardenchick.com/

I have made up several to take to the ChattanoogaEcoExpo in April, and I am mailing several out to local stores to see if they will place in their shops.
A word of caution, essential oils should not be used on cats. You could make this product with just the infused oil, shea butter, and beeswax for a cat.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Looks like a great product! Have you thought about making a medicated powder? My dog sounds a lot like yours, but will get large patches of raw area, especially in the summer. I wanted to put something non-greasy, not wet on him.

    By Blogger Beth, At March 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

  • Beth, a lot of blogs have a "moderator approval" before they are posted. (If not, you should see some of the spam I get!)
    Anyway, I have several doggie products up my sleeve, but the medicated powder was not one. What a great idea, I will have to look into that. Whatever product you use, generally you will have to cover. I know I did with my dog.

    By Blogger Unknown, At March 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM  

  • Hi,

    I have saved this article so I could come back in the future and go through it once more. It is very intriguing, well-researched and also composed. I almost never observe marvelous content these days.

    Have a nice day...!!

    Mens t Shirts Online

    By Blogger Sraban Stoback, At January 27, 2014 at 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


blog powered by Blogger
skinned by RedLime