Garden Chick - Notes from the Garden

Friday, October 24, 2008

fall garden chores


Finally, cooler weather is here! This is my favorite time to be out in the yard and there is still plenty to do. My perennial bed is well.......pitiful. the heat of the summer and frankly, just not enough time, has left the bed needing some attention to put it to bed for the winter. Other fall chores on my "to do" list include:

Plant a cover crop on the vegetable garden to add nitrogen to the soil. In the spring, it will be tilled under.
Harvest herbs for winter use. If you live in the south like I do, perennial herbs such as lavender, rosemary, oregano, and sage, can be gathered and placed on a wire tray to dry. If it is damp outside, they can be placed in a 250 degree oven until dry. Don't cut back to much, only about a third of the plant so it can overwinter safely.
As I was planning this years garden earlier this year, I added ornamental bulbs as something I wanted to plant this fall. Daffodils and tulips are on my list to purchase. Fruit trees and two or 3 more blueberries are going to be planted in the next couple of weeks. By the end of October, we could have a frost sneak up on us, so I need to get that done.

Plan next years garden! Start collecting ideas for next years garden. This garden journal which is found on my website, makes a great place to store all those loose pictures, drawings, seed packets etc., and contains some great recipes. buy it here www.gardenchick.com/garden-decor.html

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


blog powered by Blogger
skinned by RedLime