Garden Chick - Notes from the Garden

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beehive




Someone had put this beehive on my Dad's property a few years ago, and did not come back to work it, or remove it. Year before last, I called a work aquaintance who I knew that kept bees, and had them come and take a look. The hive was healthy, and it was suggested we add the top box or super, so that the bees could have a place to make and store honey for the summer and fall, and we could get some of the honey the next year. My Dad became ill, and we just forgot about the hive. My son was living on the property last summer, and reported that the bees were very active all summer. My son moved off the property last month and the property is to be sold. I want to bring my Dad's hive to my home. Today, the weather was sunny, (but windy) and about 58 degrees. The bees were out and active. I have been watching the blog of comfrey cottages, who blogs about bees. She has suggested I purchase the book Beekeeping for Dummies, (which I did off Amazon today.). While looking through todays paper, guess what I found! A beginning bee keepers class starting in March, to be held by the Hamilton County Extension Office! First thing Monday morning I am registering.

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • That is awesome!! So many people are in an all fire hurry to get rid of bees, I commend you for wanting to keep them! Best of luck, I hope you'll post about the class when you take it.
    -Heather

    By Blogger Heather, At February 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

  • Fascinating! Can't wait to see updates!

    By Blogger Donna at Suburban Sanctum, At February 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

  • It is a series of 4 classes. Three are in the classroom, each Thursday evening starting March 12
    The last day is on a Saturday when we have a field trip. I will keep you updated.

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 21, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

  • wow what good news karen! glad you got the book ordered and doubly glad there is a class starting soon you can attend! i see you have one deep hive body, also known as the brood box (the one on the bottom)and two honey supers on your hive. i imagine your bees have been using the two honey supers also as living quarters like the deep box hon. unless someone put a queen excluder between the brood box and the honey supers that is. i think it might be a good thing for you if they have been already using the honey supers as brood boxes as i wanted to suggest something to you that i have learned. the deep brood boxes weigh almost 80 pounds when full of brood,pollen and honey, karen, and while you might be able to lift that, it is cumbersome. i find it almost more than i can manage and even if i can, my moves are hurried and not smooth. one of the keys to working with bees is to be comfortable and smooth and gentle with your movements. i personally going to start any new hives by using two honey supers in place of the deep brood boxes myself, as they are just too much for me! now i have to get my brother to help me and i want to be able to do it all on my own. thought i might mention this weight issue thing to you so you can consider if maybe you would like to do the same. i mean, heck, yours is probably already going like that and if not, if someone did put in a queen excluder between your brood box and honey supers, since you are starting fresh, there is no reason not to just remove the excluder and put it on top of the honey supers and add the honey supers you will get honey from on top of that! hope this all made sense!lol so excited for you karen!!! big hugs from leslie at comfrey cottages!

    By Blogger Comfrey Cottages, At February 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

  • How neat! I think it is so greta that just when you needed it, ta da! There is a class! Good luck with your bees!

    By Blogger Captain's Wife - Jennifer, At February 23, 2009 at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


blog powered by Blogger
skinned by RedLime